Event Detail Information
Food and Mood: The Nutrition Connection
|Event Time:||5:30 PM - 7:00 PM|
|Title:||Food and Mood: The Nutrition Connection|
|Location:||Basic Science Bldg.|
|Room Name:||Garren Auditorium|
|Event Category:||Health Sciences -HS Special Events|
|Sponsor:||Stein Institute for Research on Aging|
|Open to Public:||YES|
|Other Fee Desc:|
|Contact Name:||Song Dana|
|Contact Phone:||(858) 534-8345 Ext.|
|Description:||One of the best, and most affordable methods of living a happier, healthier life is to simply eat right. Consuming a balanced selection of food is a practical and feasible method for controlling weight, improving mood, and reducing the risk of many dangerous chronic diseases. Join UC San Diego's Director of Nutrition, Vicky Newman, RD, MS, in learning about maximizing your physical and mental health through healthful eating.
For more than thirty-five years, Vicky Newman has been involved in nutrition and behavior change research at UC San Diego, with a focus on wellness and disease prevention. Ms. Newman manages the Healthy Eating and Living Program team of lifestyle counselors and assessors. During the past 16 years, the team she leads has counseled nearly three thousand people in clinical trials, evaluating the impact of lifestyle change (especially diet and physical activity) on risk and progression of cancer. Ms. Newman also developed the cooking class curriculum and recipes that taught several times each month at the Moores Cancer Center.
This public lecture shall be taking place on August 27, 2014, 5:30 pm at the Garren Auditorium, located inside the Biomedical Sciences Building of UC San Diego. Admission is free.
Directions to the GARREN AUDITORIUM from I-5 North or South:
* Exit La Jolla Village Drive and drive west on La Jolla Village Drive.
* Turn right onto Villa La Jolla Drive.
* Go straight into Gilman Parking Structure and park in an A or B spot. (You will need to purchase a permit from a Gilman Parking Structure kiosk or park at a metered space.)
* From Gilman Parking Structure, cross the street toward the Stein Clinical Research Building.
* Cross the lawn to the Medical Education and Telemedicine Building.
* Walk under the Medical Education and Telemedicine Building bridge and enter the Biomedical Sciences Building through large sliding glass doors.
* Turn left at the first hallway. Garren Auditorium is in Room 1105.
Free Parking: In order to receive a free parking permit by mail, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 822-7485 NO LATER THAN THE LAST FRIDAY BEFORE THE LECTURE. After that, you will need to purchase a permit from a Gilman Parking Structure kiosk or park at a metered space. Note: If you have a disabled person placard, you do not need a permit and are allowed to park in any handicap or metered space.